About the project
The Oncoindex is the first index to be used to monitor the access of Polish patients to cancer therapies consistent with current medical knowledge. As part of the project, Alivia Cancer Foundation regularly commissions studies on the consistency between treatment regimens financed by the National Health Fund (NFZ) and the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) guidelines.Scientific research demonstrates that observing these guidelines makes it possible for cancer patients to live longer.
We want to provide patients with reliable and useful information on which therapies can help individuals diagnosed with cancer. To this end, we analyse the availability of therapies, registered in Europe since 2004, for solid tumours and haemato-oncological diseases, which are currently the leading cause of cancer deaths. As a result, our data cover over 70% of all cases of cancer deaths in Poland.
We analyse the following types of cancer:
- bronchial and lung cancer
- colon cancer
- breast cancer
- stomach cancer
- pancreatic cancer
- prostate cancer
- bladder cancer
- rectal cancer
- ovarian cancer
- multiple myeloma and plasma cell neoplasms
- myeloid leukaemia
- lymphocytic leukaemia
- other and indeterminate non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas
- diffuse non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas
- Hodgkin’s disease
- follicular non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
- peripheral and cutaneous T-cell lymphoma
The data we present in November 2018 do not cover brain tumours as no recommended therapy approved over the last 14 years has been included in ESMO guidelines.
Polish patients have legally guaranteed access to treatment consistent with current medical knowledge. Therefore, any negative Oncoindex value is unacceptable. We want to see this value approach zero. Under Polish law, every one of us is entitled to it.
Our portal will also provide you with other information. Under different sections, we present drug programmes and summaries of product characteristics which will help you check in what situations patients can count on treatment financed by the National Health Fund.
The Oncoindex project has been developed by Alivia Cancer Foundation with the help of an educational grant from the organisation Pracodawcy RP (Employers of Poland).
The following organisations, that support cancer patients, are the patrons of the project:
- Fundacja Carita – Żyć ze Szpiczakiem im. Wiesławy Adamiec
- Fundacja Gwiazda Nadziei
- Fundacja NoPASArak
- Fundacja Omealife
- Fundacja Onkocafe – Razem Lepiej
- Fundacja Pokonaj Raka
- Fundacja Rak’n’Roll – Wygraj Życie!
- Stowarzyszenie Chorych na Chłoniaki „Sowie Oczy”
- Stowarzyszenie Mężczyzn z Chorobami Prostaty im. prof. Tadeusza Koszarowskiego „Gladiator”
- Stowarzyszenie na Rzecz Walki z Chorobami Nowotworowymi SANITAS
- Stowarzyszenie Polskie Amazonki – Ruch Społeczny
- Stowarzyszenie Pomocy Chorym na Nowotwory Krwi w Zamościu
- Stowarzyszenie Przyjaciół Chorych na Chłoniaki „Przebiśnieg”